Friday, February 8, 2013

Encouragement?

     I'm not a good blogger. I think of a lot to say but... then I procrastinate forever on actually typing out my ideas... until it seems that the news is so old. I think it makes me feel vunerable to have my thoughts and ideas "out there" for the whole world to see. I much prefer math (it's so objective). BUT, I'm going to keep trying...
     Last month I took a trip to Denver. I flew out of Orlando on a Monday. Now, Monday is the best day of the week to do anything difficult. (Why? you ask.) Monday is the day that my dear CBS ladies are together praying. I know they were praying for me and my trip. I also prayed. I prayed that everything would go smoothly and that I would be a blessing to my seat mates... Well, that is not what happened. Instead, my seat mates were a blessing to me.
     On the first flight from Orlando to Atlanta I sat next to a young college student. He was a very enthusiastic Christian with many thought provoking questions and comments. He was very interested in homeschooling. His comments were SO encouraging. We also talked about my mom and her upcoming surgery. The last comment he said to me as we parted ways was "I'll be praying for you and your mom."
     As I walked through the Atlanta airport I asked God "Did I need encouragement Lord?" The truth is yes, I did need encouragement. I still do. Homeschooling is hard. Choosing the curriculum is the easy part. Scheduling the work is not too bad. The hard part is weathering the storms. I struggle with keeping my temper through the whining and complaining. I struggle with self-doubt. Am I doing what is best for my kids? It was refreshing to hear a young college student enthusiastic about homeschooling. And once I think on it more... I can't picture doing anything else. I get the huge blessing of being intimately involved in my kids lives. I know them better than anyone else on the planet. I'm trusting God to use all the hard work for the benefit of my kids. I believe that this is the best education we can offer them. I think I just need to be reminded of all that from time to time.
     On the second flight from Atlanta I sat next to another young college student. This time a girl from Georgia on her way to Colorado for a skiing trip. This girl was in a pre-vet program and was earning money for college by training horses. I told God "you're very funny." If you know my Haley then you know horse training is her dream. God is good to me. He gave me two examples of amazing young people because he want to fan the flame of my hope in the future. "OK God. I get it. I need to stay the course and believe you have good plans for my kids. Thanks God."

No comments:

Post a Comment